AC/DC, Muse and Foo Fighters are among the rock artists who made the 2016 Celebrity 100 list compiled by Forbes, which ranks the top grossing performers over the course of the past twelve months. AC/DC made Number 17 on the list with an estimated $67.5 million in earnings due mostly to touring, while Muse landed at Number 44 with earnings of $49 million. The British trio just squeaked by the $48.5 million collected by Foo Fighters, which put Dave Grohl‘s crew at Number 45 on the survey.
- Other rock acts that made the list included the Rolling Stones at Number 18 and U2 at Number 30.
- Musicians were a heavy factor in the list, with Taylor Swift topping the field with an estimated $170 million. Adele came in at Number Nine with $80.5 million.
- Forbes magazine editor Zack O’Malley Greenberg said that live entertainment continued to be a major source of revenue, explaining, “From soccer games in Spain to concerts in China, fans are willing to shell out to see big names — and this is driving the celebrity economy to ever greater heights.”
- AC/DC previously made concert trade publication Pollstar‘s year-end list of 2015 tours with a $180 million gross — despite an average ticket price just under $78.
- The rescheduled dates of AC/DC’s North American tour –which will be the band’s first concerts here with Axl Rose on lead vocals — will kick off in Greensboro, North Carolina on August 27th.
- Anyone on this list surprise you?
- Are you startled to see acts like Muse and Foo Fighters make that much money?
- Do you think concert tickets are overpriced as it is?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
David Ortiz wrote: “how on gods green earth is angus only worth 130 million?”
Dave Gilbert wrote: “Dave Grohl is a hack who should be banned from having his name associated to anything with artistic value attached to it.”
Tom Gilmour wrote: “I get ACDC are well paid because they are kings of rock n roll but foo fighters? wtf?”