Alice In Chains and Lenny Kravitz have been tapped to open for Guns N’ Roses on the latter band’s upcoming summer stadium tour. Alice In Chains will appear on the “Not In This Lifetime” bill from its opening night on June 23rd in Detroit through its second date in Chicago on July 3rd, while Kravitz will join the trek from July 19th in Boston through July 24th in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Opening acts for the shows from July 27th through August 22nd have yet to be confirmed.
- Demand for tickets to the tour has led to the booking of second shows in Chicago, Boston and New Jersey, along with two brand new dates in Los Angeles on August 18th and 19th.
- The Guns N’ Roses reunion kicked off with a surprise show at the Troubadour nightclub in Los Angeles on April 1st, followed by two gigs in Las Vegas, two appearances at California’s Coachella Festival and two Mexico City concerts.
- The reunion features original members Axl Rose on vocals, Slash on lead guitar and bassist Duff McKagan on bass, backed by members of the more recent Guns lineup.
- Alice In Chains will kick off its own headlining tour on July 6th in Portland, Oregon and has reportedly been at work on a new studio album.
SIDE NOTES: A source at fan site GNRTruth has heard rumors that Slash’s solo band, Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators, will possibly open some of the shows on the Guns N’ Roses tour. The source said, “Heard the rumor from several people . . . I still have a hard time believing Slash would pull double duty like that. Seems sooooo weird. But I heard it from several very reliable sources, so I’m inclined to believe it was something that was at least kicked around . . . ” (Alternative Nation)
- Who else do you think should open for Guns?
- Should Slash pull double duty with his own band? Do you think he can?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Erik Rowzedy wrote: “And suddenly this day has gotten even better!! AIC and GNR!!”
Dennis Leong wrote: “But who’s going to play during the 3 hours in between the opening band and GnR?”
Felonious Punk wrote: “Lenny will be lucky to get a 30 minute set, after Guns’ management orders him to go on 90 minutes late.”
Michael Stanislaus wrote: “I’d pick AIC over GNR anytime. At least AIC has released new music in the last seven years.”
David Carr wrote: “Looks like its shaping up to be a decent tour…AIC and Lenny Kravitz are two great picks for openers. I have to say I thought this thing would implode but so far so good…although the tickets are still out of control.”