Axl Rose has made his first on-camera appearance with AC/DC in a new video promoting the band’s upcoming show in Lisbon, Portugal this Saturday (May 7th). The short clip features Axl, guitarist Angus Young and bassist Cliff Williams sitting in their rehearsal studio and inviting Portugese fans to the first rescheduled date of the band’s Rock Or Bust world tour. The Guns N’ Roses frontman was recruited for 12 European dates and 10 North American shows after AC/DC singer Brian Johnson was forced off tour by hearing loss.
Meanwhile, in his first interview in five years, Rose told BBC 6 Music that he was a huge fan of Johnson’s singing and “wants to do it justice.” He added, “I’m happy and excited in one sense, but I think it would be inappropriate to be celebrating, in a certain way, at someone else’s expense. That’s not what I’m here to do.”
- Rose told NME about the prospect of joining AC/DC and what it means to him, “It’s a challenge, and I wanna do right by the band and the fans.”
- As previously reported, approximately 7,000 AC/DC fans who bought tickets to see the band on May 16th in Werchter, Belgium have asked for refunds, although those tickets have apparently since been resold.
- A spokesperson for AC/DC told Team Rock that the band was not obligated to offer refunds, explaining, “The band made a decision to offer this. As they care about their fans and wanted to do right by them, they instructed local promoters to offer refunds.”
- Johnson was forced to stop touring for now or risk going deaf, with AC/DC immediately beginning a search for a vocalist to complete the European shows and the rescheduled North American dates later in the year.
SIDE NOTES: Guns N’ Roses News reports that Axl Rose has been spotted in Lisbon with protection on his foot, but has not been seen with wheelchairs or crutches, signaling that he has made major progress in his recovery from his broken foot. Rose sustained his injury on April 1st at his first show with the reunited Guns N’ Roses.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch AC/DC and Axl in the tour video:
- Do you think Axl is in a difficult position? If you were in his shoes, would you have taken the job?
- Do you think he’s sincere about wanting to do right by the band’s fans?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Dave Wheeler wrote: “What a joke! Thanks Angus for ruining AC-DC!!!”
Giovanni Sibilla wrote: “A-Hole is not bad with his solo band (Yep I said it) but he’s going to caterwaul thru AC/DC classics. It’s like a car wreck that you can’t turn away from.”
Mark Bennett wrote: “Well, that was awkward. Damn, Angus looks freakin awful!”
Renato F. Palhano wrote: “I’m rooting for Axl, the guy is about to realize a young boy’s dream under a weird circumstances. At same way, I couldn’t care less about AC/DC, not because they replace Brian by Axl but because they treated Johnson like s**t.”