Def Leppard has announced the February 10th release of its new concert film and double CD, titled And There Will Be A Next Time – Live From Detroit. The DVD/Blu-ray was captured on July 15th, 2016 in Clarkston, Michigan’s DTE Energy Music Theatre — still lovingly referred to as “Pine Knob” by Detroiters after its longstanding original name.
Leppard frontman Joe Elliot explained why the concert film came about: “I had this idea that we should film one of the shows from the 2016 tour because apart from the Viva Hysteria shows, we hadn’t actually had a live performance filmed since 1988. With a new album out that was being so well received, it was just a case of where to do it. From the second the house lights went down, we could see the sun setting from the stage, and the energy from the crowd just seemed to intensify. It was a good choice and a great way to document Def Leppard in 2016.”
- Guitarist Phil Collen told us that chronicling the band while running on a hot streak was the most obvious thing they could do: [“We were playing so amazing — I think we got a bit of an ‘Indian summer’ with the career. Actually, since we released this last album, y’know, Def Leppard, in an age where you don’t really have to release a record because it doesn’t make financial sense and all of that stuff. We actually got into it for all the right reasons. We wanted to write some expressive new Def Leppard music. And getting all these dates sellin’ out; y’know, places we’ve played over the years, many times. All of a sudden just like a frenzy, almost. Just an excitement.”]
- Collen went on to explain why Detroit got the nod for the live project: [“We thought, ‘What a great thing to do to capture that.’ It was great, y’know, we decided Detroit, because it’s one of the first ones that sold out. It’s always an amazing audience, y’know, it’s ‘Detroit Rock City.’ And Pine Knob, we’ve played there gazillions of times, it’s always killer. That was really a no-brainer, really. And that one sold out pretty early on. It was like, ‘Yeah, let’s record it there.'”]
- FAST FACTS
- On October 30th, 2015 Def Leppard released its 11th album, titled, Def Leppard, which peaked at Number 10 on the Billboard 200 album chart.
- Def Leppard just snagged the coveted Album Of The Year prize at the Classic Rock Magazine Awards in Tokyo.
- Def Leppard’s previous studio set, Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, was released on April 29th, 2008 and debuted on the Billboard 200 at Number Five.
- The band’s last release, the 2013 concert collection, Viva! Hysteria, was recorded live during the band’s residency at The Joint at Las Vegas’ Hard Rock Hotel and Casino.
- The first disc contains Leppard’s 1987 classic Hysteria, played in its entirety, followed by an encore of two hits from Pyromania, “Rock of Ages” and “Photograph.”