Drowning Pool guitarist CJ Pierce told Loudwire that the band is trying to contact 82-year-old John Hetlinger and invite him to one of their shows. Hetlinger became a viral video sensation this week when he appeared on the NBC series America’s Got Talent and belted out the Drowning Pool classic “Bodies,” stunning the judges and making it through to the show’s next round. Pierce said about the possibility of jamming with Hetlinger, “The feelers are out there and I think it would be fun. Obviously he had a great time with the song and we have a great time with the song every night so it would be awesome to have him onstage with us.”
Pierce said he first heard about Hetlinger’s performance when family and friends starting texting him about it, explaining, “I picked up my phone and I got a handful of texts from a number of people because I guess it got out yesterday ahead of the airing . . . I watched it, and man, I am so entertained by it. It’s awesome to just see an 82-year-old man get out there and just belt out some metal — whether it was our song or any song, it was just killer to see him do that.”
- Pierce adding jokingly about Drowning Pool’s history of changing singers, “You know we’ve had a revolving door, but Jasen Moreno is our man right now. But if he doesn’t work out we always know we’ve got John on the backburner.”
- Pierce said that the band would “love to get in touch” with Hetlinger and hopes he “gets in touch with us.”
- “Bodies” was Drowning Pool’s first big hit back in 2001, when it appeared on the band’s debut album Sinner. The band’s original singer, Dave Williams, died that August of heart disease.
- Despite being a huge rock radio smash, it was removed from radio playlists for a while later that year in the wake of the September 11th terrorist attacks.
- Drowning Pool’s sixth studio album, Hellelujah, came out earlier this year and features the singles “By The Blood” and “Hell To Pay.”
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Hetlinger blow it up with “Bodies”:
INTERNET COMMENTS at Alternative Press — agree or not?
Rachel Cote wrote: “I have happy tears running down my face! Hell yeah!”
Mark Seifert wrote: “wow…blown away.”
Stacey Blanchard wrote: “That’s so awesome, go old man go!!!”
Jennifer Coltrane wrote: “metal is alive and kicking no matter what age you are!”