Five Finger Death Punch guitarist Jason Hook told Louisville, Kentucky radio station WTFX that he is constantly working on new music, saying, “(I have ideas for) easily probably another three or four (albums) on a hard drive. I remember back in the early days, we were on our second record, and I just remember not being very prepared for it. And we only had X amount of months to do a new record, and everyone sort of sitting around going, ‘What do you got?’ And I’m, like, ‘I have nothing. What do you got?’ And I just remember thinking, I just don’t really wanna have that happen again . . . the way to approach this is to always have a big variety of stuff to sift through.”
Hook told us he’s always ready to start making new music at a moment’s notice: [“I have a whole studio here at my house. I’m always writing and recording music anyway, so at any given time, I’m kind of ready to go. You can never have enough soon enough, and so I just learned early on, always be preparing. So when it comes time to pull the trigger, I mean, we could go in and track eight songs pretty much right out of the gate. And then, you know, start writing a few more and boom, record’s being finished.”] SOUNDCUE (:22 OC: . . . record’s being finished.)
- Five Finger Death Punch has regularly released an album every two years or so since 2007.
- It was revealed last week that the band’s label, Prospect Park, filed a lawsuit against the group, accusing it of allegedly trying to violate its recording contract by rushing to make a new album despite the addiction problems of singer Ivan Moody.
- The group fired back, calling the suit “the latest in a long line of exploitative and abusive bullying tactics used by our former manager and current label CEO Jeff Kwatinetz to extract money from and wield power against the band.”
- DAILY INQUIRY:
- How many more albums do you think Five Finger Death Punch has in them, assuming all goes well?
- Should bands stop recording after, say, 10 albums? 12? Eight?
- When is the last time you heard a record by a band that was clearly out of ideas?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Chris Neighbour wrote: “That’s good to hear he’s got ideas for the next four albums, because they had none on the last three or four!”
Shawn Fitzgerald wrote: “This guy is actually a nice guy and a talented guitarist. The only thing that keeps me from listening to these guys is the singer.”
Patricia Beninato wrote: “Every time I see Jason Hook I remember that he used to be the guitarist in Mandy Moore’s touring band back in the day.”
Orad Farez wrote: “No! For the love of humanity…I give up! I surrender! You win. I’ll tell you anything you want… You want the nuclear codes? Fine! Just please, no more Five Finger Death Punch!!!!”