Five Finger Death Punch is playing the remaining eight shows on its current U.S. co-headlining tour with Shinedown without singer Ivan Moody. All That Remainsvocalist Phil Labonte is taking over on the mic for Moody, who has “fallen ill,” according to an official statement from Five Finger Death Punch. Labonte made his debut with the band on Thursday night (December 1st) in Philadelphia, with bassist Chris Kael also contributing vocals.
Guitarist Zoltan Bathory said, “Ivan is our brother and we fully and wholeheartedly support him taking care of himself so he can get well as soon as possible. We discussed possibly canceling the remaining shows but the responses from the other bands on the tour were so overwhelmingly supportive that we decided to move forward and deliver the great night to the fans that they expect.”
- Labonte added, “I got their six and stepped up right away. I’m honored to be able to help Five Finger Death Punch to finish their tour and give Ivan a chance to take care of himself. I did the same for Killswitch Engage years ago. I was humbled to get the call and get a chance to play in front of such a great audience.”
- Labonte did in fact handle vocals for Killswitch Engage in 2010 when their singer at the time, Howard Jones, left the band mid-tour.
- Five Finger Death Punch was forced to cut a show in Worcester, Massachusetts on November 28th short because singer Ivan Moody was unable to perform.Although it was reported that Moody was overcome with grief over the illness and possible death of someone close to him — not his mother as initially reported — a number of audience members reported that he appeared to be intoxicated and disoriented.
- Moody previously had an onstage meltdown during a May 2015 show in Memphis. The incident was blamed on his abuse of alcohol and drugs. He entered rehab after that.
- Bathory told us a while back in happier times that Moody was a true rock ‘n’ roll spirit: [“He’s very much the ‘last pirate,’ the middle finger of this generation, you know what I mean? He’s really the guy who jumps in a car anywhere in the world and says, ‘yeah, let’s go’ — no passport, no papers, nothing, just goes anywhere. He’s really the last free spirit, he pretty much just lives for the now, you know, does what he feels like doing. So there’s something admirable, for me at least — I’m looking at, like, I wish I could do that.”]
- Remaining Five Finger Death Punch tour dates (subject to change):
December 2 – Hershey, PA – Giant Center
December 3 – Huntington, WV – Big Sandy Superstore Arena
December 5 – Greenville, SC – Bon Secours Wellness Arena
December 6 – Charleston, SC – N. Charleston Civic Center
December 8 – Orlando, FL – Amway Arena
December 9 – Tampa, FL – Amalie Arena
December 10 – Duluth, GA – Infinite Energy Center