Five Finger Death Punch has been sued by its record label, Prospect Park, for failing to honor certain conditions under its current contract and for “shamelessly attempting to cash in before the anticipated downfall of their addicted bandmate.” According to Blabbermouth, which obtained a copy of the lawsuit, Prospect Park wants more time to promote the band’s latest album, Got Your Six, and asked the band to provide just two new songs for a greatest hit collection in the interim.
But the group allegedly rejected that plan, insisting instead on recording a new full-length album — in anticipation of singer Ivan Moody soon being unable to record or perform due to an increasing substance abuse problem.
- According to the lawsuit, Five Finger Death Punch’s four-album contract prohibits the band from beginning to record a new effort until at least nine months have passed since the release of the previous one.
- Five Finger’s third album under the agreement, Got Your Six, was released on September 4th, 2015, which means that the band is “prohibited from recording any portion of the required Fourth Album until at least June 4, 2016.”
- The suit, which was filed on April 21st in California Superior Court, alleges that Five Finger Death Punch is “rushing” to record one more full-length album using Moody on vocals and wants to “cash in before the anticipated downfall of their addicted bandmate.” But the label says it wants to “prevent the band from disregarding the health and safety of a bandmate and destroying itself.”
- The documents allege that Moody’s “escalating substance abuse is placing both the future of FFDP, and indeed his life, at risk” and that the band is trying to “salvage” the sale value of its catalog before Moody ends up dead or in jail.
- The band also notified Prospect Park at one point that Moody was “in an in-patient rehabilitation facility for an unknown duration of time.”
- In addition to its concern over Moody’s well-being, the label alleges in the suit that “radio has told Prospect Park that the ‘sound’ of FFDP is getting stale, requiring greater creative input” in the recording of its next album.
- Amidst all this, Five Finger Death Punch has announced a new co-headlining arena tour with Shinedown that will kick off on October 18th in Little Rock, Arkansas and run into December.Sixx A.M. and As Lions will be along as support. Tickets go on sale Thursday (April 28th).
- In an interview done before the news of the lawsuit came out, guitarist Zoltan Bathory told us that putting together this tour was a no-brainer: [“You put together bands that really have a big following, they’re strong on radio, you know, so there’s a radio support and we can actually sell out arenas. And thank God we are in a position that we can put these tours together and it’s a big success for everyone.”] SOUNDCUE (:14 OC: . . . success for everyone.)
- The tour dates are (subject to change):
October 18 – Little Rock, AR – Verizon Arena
October 22 – Wichita, KS – Intrust Bank Arena
October 23 – Denver, CO – Pepsi Center
October 25 – West Valley City, UT – Maverik Center
October 27 – Phoenix, AZ – Talking Stick Resort Arena
October 28 – Las Vegas, NV – T-Mobile Arena
October 29 – Anaheim, CA – Honda Center
October 31 – San Jose, CA – SAP Center
November 2 – Portland, OR – Moda Center
November 3 – Spokane, WA – Spokane Arena
November 5 – Tacoma, WA – Tacoma Dome
November 7 – Boise, ID – Taco Bell Arena
November 9 – Billings, MT – MetraPark Fairgrounds
November 11 – Bismarck, ND – Bismarck Civic Center
November 17 – Cincinnati, OH – U.S. Bank Arena
November 18 – Louisville, KY – KFC Yum! Center
- How does this make the other members of Five Finger Death Punch look? Do they seem like a band or just guys looking to cash in on being in one?
- Do you think they are putting their own financial gain ahead of the health and possibly life of Ivan Moody?
- Should the band give him more time to get his act together or just get a new vocalist now?
- Do you think the label is sincerely looking out for Moody’s health or do they have another agenda?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Greg Hazard wrote: “Sad to see! Let’s just hope Ivan does not end up on the list of rockers we’ve lost so far this year! Clean yourself up man!”
Jim Farley wrote: “Anyone who didn’t know this was a pre-fab corporate band is an idiot.”
Shawn Fitzgerald wrote: “This is some pretty heavy s**t. And now FFDP are going to go on tour? This Ivan dude is playing with his life. I am in no way a fan of these guys, but for the band to keep on, and the label to actually just basically sit there, this is quite careless.”
Michael Edwards wrote: “Contrary to what many of the already established 5FDP despisers may think right now, this is actually a pretty huge day. It’s the day in which millions of Five Finger Death Punch fans, including myself, understand the true nature of these careless, selfish, sell-out, tools. What a shame…this is about as hard of evidence that you can get, in proving that a band truly does not give one s**t about music, but rather the paycheck they will receive upon creating it reluctantly.”