Green Day will make its return this month with a new single called “Bang Bang,” according to multiple reports. Frontman Billie Joe Armstrong announced the song on his social media platforms, revealing that the song would arrive on August 11th but otherwise not divulging any other information except that more details would be announced soon. A Green Day fan forum reported that the group’s new studio album is finished.
Green Day has not released a new album since issuing three discs in late 2012 titled Uno!, Dos! and Tre!, but it’s been widely reported that the trio has been at work on its 12th studio album for much of the past year. Bassist Mike Dirnt told us a while back that Green Day has always set its goals high for every new project: [“Can I give a horrible analogy here? Imagine we were going to climb a mountain, and we had climbed this mountain before, we’d been to the top, the view does not suck from the top of this mountain. But this time, we took a different route to get to the mountain, and on the way to the mountain, we saw an even taller mountain. And we were like, what do you do? You go climb the one you’ve done before, or do you climb the higher one and take a chance of falling.”] SOUNDCUE (:17 OC: . . . chance of falling.)
- The band also took some time off as Dirnt‘s wife battled breast cancer and touring guitarist Jason White dealt with tonsil cancer.
- During the break, Armstrong advanced his career as an actor with roles in several independent films, including the lead in a movie called Geezer.
- Green Day began coming out of its hiatus in 2015, when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- It was around the time of the Hall of Fame induction that Armstrong hinted at new music in the works, although he did not want to put a timetable on when a new record would be ready.
- The last musical release of any kind from Green Day was the free 2015 holiday track “Xmas Time of the Year.”
LISTENERS’ POLL: Is Green Day still an important and relevant band?
CHECK IT OUT: Here’s Billie Joe’s announcement about the upcoming single: