For years it’s been rumored that singer Serj Tankian has been the sole holdout when it came to plans for System Of A Down to make a new album. Although he’s toured sporadically with the band since it ended its four-year hiatus in 2010, there have been no signs of the quartet getting back into the studio for the first time in over a decade.
But speaking with Rolling Stone, Tankian was asked about the status of System and replied, “We’re communicating and trying to see if we can bring our material together. There’s definitely a lot of communication going on, a lot of back and forth. I can’t make a statement in terms of whether we’re going to have a record or not, because we haven’t gone into the studio and done it. But there’s definitely communication going on, songs being played to each other and all that stuff, so it’s good. We’ll see what happens.”
- Tankian added, “I think it would be great to create something brand new in a new direction. It would be very exciting, but everyone’s got to be on board, on the same page, and it’s got to be done in a way so that everyone is happy. If we can do that, we’ll do it.”
- The singer also hinted that he had recently written several new rock songs, but wasn’t sure where they would end up. He told us a while back that he has always preferred to work on new music alone: [“Even with System, I always wrote the songs by myself in my own studio. I would write the songs, and have the vocals, have the whole arrangement done, then I’d take it to the band. But I’d still work the song from its inception to full form by myself. This is something I’d been doing for a very long time.”] SOUNDCUE (:15 OC: . . . very long time.)
- Tankian has released a number of solo projects in the past nine years, including four albums on his own, one with the jazz ensemble Jazz-Iz-Christ and three soundtracks.
- System Of A Down’s last studio album, Hypnotize, came out in November 2005. The group last toured in early 2015 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.
- Tankian has just posted a new song online called “Artsakh,” which he wrote in support of Armenian freedom fighters in Nagorno-Karabakh, a region in the former Soviet Republic of Azerbaijan near Armenia.
- Does it sound to you like Serj seems a little more optimistic about doing a new System album?
- The band has not released new material in nearly 11 years — they have even Tool (10 years) and Metallica (eight years) beat. Will people still care?
- Do you think they can find the spark again to make music like they did on their earlier records?
INTERNET COMMENTS at The PRP — agree or not?
mystic headlock wrote: “Just don’t let a System of a Down record get in the way of scoring your weird friends’ weird movies. That’s what’s important here.”
Jiggle wrote: “Can’t blame a guy for wanting to keep working now can we? There’s three other guys in the band, three guys who haven’t exactly proven to be very prolific or motivated musicians.”
ZMA wrote: “After all this time, I’ll believe new System is coming, when I see the crappy lyric video. It’ll be hard for them to do something on par with their 4 other records, since so much time has passed. I’d love for them to go back to the Toxicity days and take some pointers off of those writing processes. Plus they’re older now, so the energy won’t be the same.”
Dax wrote: “The shift on the last two albums to having Serj essentially be a backup singer didn’t make sense – Serj’s voice is full and has a ton of power vs Daron. I mean, I know it was more than that, but that plus the clean production didn’t help those two albums.”