Islander returns to the scene this summer with a new lineup and a sophomore album titled Power Under Control. The disc is due out on August 5th and follows up 2014’s debut, Violence & Destruction. Only singer Mikey Carvajal remains from the original band, while among the new members is drummer Arin Ilejay, who was dismissed last year from Avenged Sevenfold after a four-year stint with that group.
Carvajal told us how Ilejay ended up in Islander: [“When Islander did the Mayhem festival with Avenged Sevenfold a couple of years ago, me and Arin, we just became really close and we just kept in touch ever since. And we used to actually joke around, like, ‘Dude, it would be so funny if you came and played with us or filled in some shows for us. It was just kind of like a joke between friends, and then all of a sudden the opportunity actually came up for him to go out with us, and he joined the band and it’s just been great.”] SOUNDCUE (:22 OC: . . . just been great.)
- Ilejay spoke with Rolling Stone about being ousted from Avenged Sevenfold and joining Islander, saying, “I was totally shocked and scared out of my mind when (Avenged guitarist) Synyster Gates called me to let me go. I was like, ‘Oh my God! My wife is about to have a baby. How am I going to support my family now?'”
- Ilejay added that he never felt like he was ever truly part of Avenged Sevenfold, saying, “I realized if I joined Islander I would have an opportunity to help write songs and build something, instead of being on the inside but, at the same time, really be on the outside the way I was with Avenged.”
- A track from Power Under Control, titled “Darkness,” is online now. The first official single is called “Bad Guy.”
- The other new members of Islander include former Korn guitar tech J.R. Bareis on guitar and bassist Ezekiel Vasquez.
- Islander will play the Rock USA festival in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on July 16th.
- Islander’s 2014 debut, Violence & Destruction, featured the singles “Cold Speak,” “New Wave” and “Coconut Dracula.”
- The new album features a guest appearance from legendary Bad Brains frontman H.R., who recorded his part over cellphone.
- The original version of Islander formed in Greenville, South Carolina in 2006, but broke up for a time before regrouping under the name Islander in 2011.
- Vocalist Mikey Carvajal is a member of the non-profit Christian outreach organization The Whosoevers. Other members include Brian “Head” Welch and Reginald “Fieldy” Arvizu of Korn, Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D. and former Flyleaf singer Lacey Sturm.
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the video for the new Islander song, “Darkness”:
INTERNET COMMENTS at Alternative Press — agree or not?
Natasha Gearhart wrote: “Obviously you’re destitute after having been with a band like Avenged for four years, and a highly successful one at that. What this makes you sound like is a spoiled brat.”
Anthony Marquez wrote: “You would be surprised how many musicians need to tour every season to support the fam. Maybe, if he was lucky, he saved enough to get a house. Thats probably why he is already in another gig already. Being a musician is still a job and you dont get health.”
Tia Moss wrote: “From my understanding Arin kept having disagreements with the Avenged guys because he wanted it to be his way and Matt told him they all work together to help write the songs and pass ideas around and Arin apparently didn’t like it. I have nothing against Arin because we all welcomed him with open arms…but we all wish Jimmy was still here.”