Mastodon releases its seventh studio album, Emperor Of Sand, on Friday (March 31st). Bassist Troy Sanders from the Atlanta-based band told us about the meaning behind the album’s cryptic title: [“We believe that sand represents time, and this record is themed around the idea of time, and over the past couple of years what time has meant for us as a band has been extremely precious, and we focused on how we deal with what time we had to work together, to create together. It’s what we have to work with at the moment, and we just felt that that captures what the four of us have been dealing with for the past couple of years.”]
- Emperor Of Sand follows up 2014’s Once More ‘Round The Sun and features the rock radio single “Show Yourself.”
- Mastodon kicks off a spring U.S. headline tour in support of Emperor Of Sand on April 14th in Missoula, Montana, with support from Eagles Of Death Metal. The tour also includes stops at several festivals, including Carolina Rebellion on May 5th.
- Each pair of tickets purchased online for Mastodon — excluding festival dates and a May 6th gig in Philadelphia — includes a choice of a physical or digital copy of Emperor Of Sand that can be redeemed on the set’s release date.
- Mastodon will perform on the ABC late night show Jimmy Kimmel Live! on April 3rd, with an in-store performance scheduled for April 4th at Amoeba Records in Hollywood.
- PHOTO CREDITS: metalsucks.net