Tool and Puscifer frontman Maynard James Keenan and the world’s Number Five-ranked MMA fighter, Cat Zingano, have been training and practicing together for a few months. According toConsequence Of Sound, Zingano has posted footage online of a recent tussle between the two after soundcheck for one of Puscifer’s shows, with Keenan actually showing Zingano some new tricks.
- Keenan is a purple belt in Brazilian jui-jitsu.
- Puscifer’s current shows feature an opening act called Luchafer, a luchador group that stages a wrestling match prior to Puscifer taking the stage.
- Keenan told us that Puscifer’s live show requires a certain sized venue to work: [“Those venues that we need to be in, there’s not many venues in your city that are the perfect size for this show. We’re not just a band; this is a show. There’s a lot of moving parts. We need a certain stage size to present it, so we can’t just go anywhere. There’s video attached to the presentation, there’s actors – so to speak, so-called (laughs) — you know, there’s like, there’s more bells and whistles.”] SOUNDCUE (:20 OC: . . . bells and whistles.)
- Keenan and Puscifer are currently on a lengthy North American tour in support of their third album, Money Shot. The trek stops in Minneapolis on Wednesday (March 23rd).
- Keenan recently said that he is waiting to get new music from the instrumental members of Tool before he can begin writing lyrics for that band’s long-awaited new CD.