Tool and Puscifer frontman Maynard James Keenan will embark on a book tour this fall to promote the publication of his authorized biography, A Perfect Union Of Contrary Things. The first two dates confirmed for November 9th at Nashville’s City Winery and November 16th at Thalia Hall in Chicago.
According to a press release, the famously private Keenan will participate at each stop in a moderated discussion about the book and his decision to share the intimate details about his life. He’ll also read passages from the book with a backdrop of never-before-seen photos and videos, as well as take questions from the audience.
- Tickets for the Nashville and Chicago events are on sale this Friday (July 15th). Additional dates will be announced soon.
- The last time Keenan did anything remotely like this was when he embarked on a series of bottle signings on the West Coast to promote his wine business. He told us that he was initially hesitant to do them: [“I was reluctant to drag the rock star element into it, and actually go and play that card to really sell wine, but when I actually saw people coming out, it was overwhelming, the interest that they had in the wine. I mean, they were there of course ’cause there’s this idiot rock guy signing things, but they were also there because they wanted to learn about wine. That allowed me to go, ‘You know what, stop trying to separate and compartmentalize the rock from the wine. Let’s just go ahead and put this together a little bit.'”] SOUNDCUE(:23 OC: . . . a little bit.)
- Keenan’s 284-page biography was written by his longtime friend, Sarah Jensen, and Keenan himself was heavily involved in its creation.
- The official synopsis for the book indicates that it chronicles Keenan’s “journey from his Midwest childhood to his years in the Army to his time in art school, from his stint at a Boston pet shop to his place in the international spotlight and his influence on the disparate fields of contemporary music and regional winemaking.”
- Also included are commentary from friends, family, instructors and colleagues, as well as eight pages of never before seen photographs.
- Tool will be playing a number of festivals and headlining dates this fall, although there is still no word on when the band intends to release its long-awaited fifth album.
CHECK IT OUT: See the trailer for Maynard James Keenan’s book:
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Aaron Rever wrote: “Boring, overrated f**kwad. Can’t stand this guy, and the music is just like his personality.”
Brad Dix wrote: “I will definitely check this out!”
William Woodall wrote: “Hope he will come to Atlanta. Love to get the book and meet him.”
Bohdi Lama wrote: “I was at Whole Foods a while back shopping. He was in there signing wine bottles behind a barricade so no one could see him. No pictures, no talking, no interaction whatsoever was allowed. I’m sure this book signing will be equally as uneventful.”
John Cat Marchant wrote: “Will he have his wine there to go along with the book?”
Steven Bryant wrote: “He’ll have everything, except a new Tool album.”