A jury trial has begun in the case of a California man accused of shooting his former girlfriend, who was also business partner, to death after drinking vodka, taking drugs and listening to the Guns N’ Roses song “Used To Love Her.” According to the Orange County Register, 52-year-old Thomas Michael Wilhelm allegedly sang along to the classic Guns tune, which includes the lyrics “I used to love her but I had to kill her,” before stealing a handgun from his neighbor and using it to shoot 45-year-old Christine Murray in 2012.
- Although Murray and Wilhelm had once dated, they were only business partners at the time of the alleged crime.
- Wilhelm was charged with first-degree murder and faces 50 years to life in prison.
- “Used To Love Her” first appeared on Guns N’ Roses’ 1988 acoustic EP Lies, with the liner notes calling the song “a joke, nothing more.”
- Guitarist Slash reportedly once said about the track, “People think it’s about one of our old girlfriends, but it’s actually about Axl‘s (Rose, vocals) dog.”
- Guns N’ Roses, featuring original members Slash, Axl and bassist Duff McKagan, will head next week to South America for a month-long tour beginning on October 27th.