Metallica has been working on and off on its 10th studio album for a couple of years now, but the last few months have seen the band get down to serious business on the disc and spend less time than usual on touring or other projects. Drummer Lars Ulrich told us that the homestretch for the album is in sight: [“We’re close, yeah. It’s lining up. Right now there’s no foreseeable reason why the record shouldn’t come out this year, but we don’t have a release date and we don’t have a deadline. We have open-ended recording time in our own studio, thankfully, but the record’s nearly done and there’s no reason right now it shouldn’t come out in the calendar year of 2016.”] SOUNDCUE (:22 OC: . . . year of 2016.)
- The new Metallica album is being produced by Greg Fidelman, who engineered and mixed the group’s last studio effort, 2008’s Death Magnetic.
- Ulrich was in New York City last week for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, at which he helped induct Deep Purple.
- Metallica will next perform live at Berkeley, California’s legendary record store Rasputin Music on Saturday, April 16th in celebration of Record Store Day. The band were named Record Store Day ambassadors for 2016.
- Metallica last played at a record store in 2008, when it performed in the basement of tiny Nashville outlet Grimy’s.
- In addition to a live album recorded in Paris that’s being released exclusively for Record Store Day, Metallica will reissue its first two albums, Kill ‘Em All and Ride The Lightning, in deluxe box set editions this Friday (April 15th).
- The band’s recently announced headlining show at Minneapolis’ new U.S. Bank Stadium on August 20th sold out all 66,000 tickets in less than 10 minutes two weeks ago. Joining Metallica at that show will be Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat.
- Metallica’s classic 1986 album Master Of Puppets is among the records that have been selected for induction into the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. Every year 25 recordings that are “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” and at least 10 years old are selected.