Multiple sources, including E! News and Us Weekly, reported on Sunday (May 8th) that legendary rock singer Ozzy Osbourne and his wife of 33 years, Sharon Osbourne, had split up. A source told E! News that Ozzy had agreed to move out of the couple’s house at least temporarily, and that the break-up had nothing to do with Ozzy’s sobriety. The Black Sabbath singer has reportedly been clean and sober for more than three years after falling off the wagon for an 18-month period in 2011 and 2012.
British tabloid The Sun reported that the split came about after Sharon discovered that Ozzy was having an affair with a celebrity hairstylist. A source told People that the rumors were “sort of true,” but also added that they would not be surprised if the couple worked things out, saying “He’ll be back.”
- Sharon took over Ozzy’s management from her father Don Arden in 1980 and helped launch his hugely successful solo career after he was booted from Sabbath in 1979. The two got married on July 4th, 1982.
- This is not the first time Sharon and Ozzy have separated. Back in 2013, Sharon admitted she was considering divorcing Ozzy after he relapsed on alcohol and drugs. But she said on her daytime show The Talk, “We’re not getting divorced. However, am I happy? No. Am I upset? Yes I am. I’m devastated right now . . .We’ve dealt with worse. We’re dealing with it and this too shall pass.”
- Ozzy has previously credited Sharon for saving his life, saying, “I’m alive because I’ve got a strong wife, I think. I didn’t expect to live past 30. I remember when I was 21 saying I would be dead by 40.”
- The couple have three children — 31-year-old Aimee, 29-year-old Kelly and 28-year-old Jack — and their relationship has been volatile over the years: Ozzy almost strangled his wife after a five-day drinking binge in 1989.
- Ozzy is currently in the midst of a year-long farewell tour with Sabbath and is expected to announce some other news soon, possibly as early as this week. It is not clear whether the announcement of his split with Sharon will affect future plans or her status as his manager.
ASK YOUR LISTENERS:
- Do you think this is really the end for Ozzy and Sharon? Or will they get back together?
- If the rumors are true, isn’t it pretty wrong of Ozzy to cheat on Sharon after everything she has done for him?
- Do you think Ozzy can get along on his own without her?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Darwin Suncin wrote: “Heard Ozzy has 3 wks to fix things or she’s filing. Personally I think they both both need counseling. This is not the first time Ozzy has cheated. There are some issues there.”
VictoryRider wrote: “Who will Sharon exploit now?”
lenaz wrote: “Maybe he is growing up and doesn’t need a mother…or is working on growing up and can’t with the same eyes on him. Maybe its time for them to go on.”
777 wrote: “Ozzy’s gettin’ a little side piece. Good for him! He deserves it.”
Per Jensen wrote: “Ozzy’s sobriety was what changed the relationship. Basically, once Ozzy was clear headed enough to take a look around at the life he had made for himself, he didn’t like what he saw. He decided to just scrap Sharon, and start over completely to build the life he wants.”
Ronny Munroe wrote: “She’s done nothing but support him. He’s one of my inspirations but this news makes me sick.”