Ozzy Osbourne, along with Slipknot‘s Corey Taylor, has invited fans to attend a “very special” announcement and event on Thursday, May 12th at the Palladium in Hollywood, California at noon. Fans can begin lining up at 7:00 a.m. It’s rumored that the event is being held to announce that Ozzy’s Ozzfest and Slipknot’s Knotfest are combining to form one massive special event sometime this fall.
Ozzfest, which began in 1996, has not been a traveling festival in the U.S. since 2007’s “free” edition. The show morphed into a one-off event in Dallas in 2008, took 2009 off and played just six cities in 2010. Knotfest, meanwhile, staged its third annual event last year and second as a Southern California weekend destination festival. It attracted over 50,000 fans with 50 bands playing on four stages.
- Ozzy told us a while back when the festival went on hiatus that he wasn’t sure what the future held for Ozzfest: [“If it takes off again, fine. If it doesn’t, well, that’s also fine because, you know, it’s been great for us. I mean, we’ve had a — I’m really happy that we’ve been able to launch new bands into the arena, you know. A good few many bands got successful from the Ozzfest. You know, we’ll see what happens. You never know, it could go on, it could not.”] SOUNDCUE (:21 OC: . . . it could not.)
- All this comes against the backdrop of tabloid stories that broke over the weekend, claiming that Ozzy and his wife/manager Sharon were splitting after 33 years. The legendary metal singer has reportedly moved out of the house he shares with Sharon.
- According to The Sun, Ozzy checked into the Beverly Hills Hotel, but when his three kids — Aimee, Kelly and Jack — tried to reach him there, he had already checked out and his immediate whereabouts were not known at press time.
- The singer briefly broke his silence on Monday (May 9th), telling E! News, “I have been sober for three and a quarter years. I have not touched drugs or alcohol in that time. Any reports that I am not sober are completely inaccurate.”
- It’s claimed that Ozzy and Sharon are breaking up over Ozzy’s alleged affair with celebrity hairdresser Michelle Pugh.
- A source told the Daily Mail that Sharon went “ballistic” when she confronted her husband with proof of the affair, saying, “She had suspected something had been going on for some time and now had proof. Ozzy was extremely sheepish and admitted being close to Michelle. It is likely Sharon has discovered calls and possibly meetings.”
- The Osbournes nearly split up in 2013 when Ozzy lapsed back into drug and alcohol abuse for an 18-month period.
- With everything going on in his personal life, is this the time for Ozzy to announce a new live event?
- Since Sharon usually orchestrates these things, who is going to run it now?
- Would you like to see Ozzfest and Knotfest combine, or should they stay separate?
INTERNET COMMENTS at The Mirror — agree or not?
PeterChristian wrote: “I bet this whole thing is rehearsed and staged to bolster their shrinking PR.”
Marg61 wrote: “I don’t blame the Guy having to live with that Toxic Plastic Woman.”
PaulAllan wrote: “Well if he has dumped her it’s Karma on her part considering she had an affair with him in the first place behind his first wife’s back. She split the family up leading to his first son growing up without a Dad, while she still to this day makes him perform every day to pay for her lavish lifestyle, while he would rather just sit back and enjoy life. Horrible disgusting woman.”
TonyWhittaker wrote: “old oz must be viagrad up to the hilt!”
C.j. Garcia wrote: “Well, Ozzy is currently missing, so we’ll see if this announcement actually gets made…”