Paul Simon has heard Disturbed‘s cover of his classic Simon & Garfunkel song “The Sound Of Silence” and apparently approves — so much so, in fact, that he reached out to Disturbed singerDavid Draiman to offer his praise directly. According to Ultimate Classic Rock, Simon saw the band perform the song on the March 28th edition of Conan and send Draiman an email in which he wrote, “Really powerful performance on Conan the other day. First time I’d seen you do it live. Nice. Thanks.”
Draiman posted a screenshot of the email on the band’s Facebook page, along with his response, which read, “Mr. Simon, I am honored beyond words. We only hoped to pay homage and honor to the brilliance of one of the greatest songwriters of all time. Your compliment means the world to me/ us and we are eternally grateful.”
- Simon took it one step further, posting a link to the performance on his Twitter account and calling it a “wonderful rendition.”
- Draiman told us that he was intimidated at first by the idea of covering the song: [“It’s very, very, daunting. You know, it’s one of those mega-songs that are so classic and so timeless and so huge that many would view it as being relatively untouchable, and I had hesitancies. And then, to take it even a step further, I thought we were going to do it in the typical Disturbed fashion — making it more upbeat, making it more aggressive. And it was actually Danny (Donegan, guitar) that made the strong suggestion to not do that.”] SOUNDCUE (:24 OC: . . . not do that.)
- “The Sound Of Silence” is taken from Disturbed’s latest album, Immortalized, and is currently the reigning Number One track on the rock radio airplay chart.
- Disturbed is currently in the midst of a North American headlining tour that brings the band to Niagara Falls, New York on Tuesday night (April 5th). The group will also tour later this spring with Rob Zombie.
- Draiman recently apologized to a female fan after he called her out for texting during the band’s show in Dallas last month. The woman claimed she was communicating with her children at home.
CHECK IT OUT: Here’s a link to their conversation:https://www.facebook.com/Disturbed/photos/a.10151678156922384.1073741824.7916037383/10154222097947384/?type=3&theater
And here’s the performance: