Pop Evil has announced that its new drummer is Hayley Cramer, a British musician who has previously played in the band McQueen. Cramer replaces Josh “Chachi” Marunde, who exited the group last month after a five-year stint. Frontman Leigh Kakaty spoke about the change: [“You know, we got some new blood, it’s a new chapter for the band, so we’re excited to, you know, just see where this takes us. It’s always difficult when you have a member change, but this transition couldn’t have been any better. It just feels like it’s been very natural, very organic and, you know, we’re excited for this next chapter.”] SOUNDCUE (:15 OC: . . . this next chapter.)
- Kakaty told Radio Contraband about Cramer, “She’s amazing. She’s from Brighton. We love her. And we didn’t think this was gonna work, cause we were, like, ‘A girl on the bus? I don’t know if this is the right idea.’ But we already knew she could play the drums. And if you haven’t seen her play the drums, she slays it. But you know what? She’s even become a better sister, so I love her.”
- Cramer told us that she heard about the gig through an American friend in the music business and jumped all over it: [“I checked out the albums and I was like literally punching the air in the car. I was like, ‘Yes, this is me! This is me! Gotta do this.’ So I sent loads of videos over to them, got in touch, Skype, the lot…it just felt right. Came over to Grand Rapids, had a rehearsal, hit the road and it feels good.”] SOUNDCUE (:15 OC: . . . it feels good.)
- Marunde is said to be taking a new opportunity that will allow him to spend more time with family.
- Up, Pop Evil’s fourth album, was released last August. The latest single is “Take It All.”
- The band will team up with 3 Doors Down and Red Sun Rising for a late summer/early fall tour that will kick off on August 26th in Charleston, West Virginia.
In other drum-related news, U.K. rock band Young Guns has parted ways with its drummer, Ben Jolliffe. The group said in a statement, “We have always been friends before bandmates and that will never change — our paths are simply headed in different directions and we agreed on this being the best thing to do for all of us.”
- The band has not announced a replacement for Jolliffe but did indicate that it has completed recording its fourth album for release later this year. The group will appear on this summer’s Warped Tour.
- The last Young Guns studio effort, Ones And Zeros, arrived in June 2015 and featured the song “I Want Out.”
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Pop Evil perform with its new drummer:
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Fonzy Brookestone wrote: “this is sooooo generic that I thought that was Foo Fighters with another name.”
Nathan Webster wrote: “I know ‘minimalist’ drum kits can work in the right hands, but look at how pathetic that thing is. Am I only seeing one rack tom? Did the rest of it get stolen? Did she have to split her kit with some other drummer?”
Daniel Kallus wrote: “Looks like she’s got a 4 piece. Can’t see the floor tom, but you can see the mic on it, and then hits it like one or two times. She’s not bad.”
Mark Scharrer wrote: “I saw Pop Evil open for Disturbed last Wednesday and they are an incredible live band! Hayley was awesome on drums as well!!”
Emilio Largo wrote: “This gypsy troupe is by far the most diverse bunch of goofy personalities I have ever seen. Each and every member looks like they belong in another band!”