British heavy rock duo Royal Blood are streaming a brand new song called “Where Are You Now?” The song made its debut this past Sunday (April 3rd) on the latest episode of HBO’s 1970s-set music industry drama series Vinyl. According to Noisey, the band were reportedly inspired to write the song after seeing the first trailer for the program, which stars Bobby Cannavale as drug-addled and financially strapped record company president Richie Finestra.
Royal Blood bassist/singer Mike Kerr said, “Hearing Richie Finestra talk about the first time you heard a song that made your hairs on the back of your neck stand up or made you wanna dance or kick someone’s arse . . . I just wanted to write a song that gave me that sort of buzz.”
- The track features Royal Blood’s thick trademark sound, and Kerr told us a while back about its origins: [“I’ve always been fascinated with making one sound that sounds big. I eventually kind of feel like I cracked this code I was after to make this huge sound and I’ve managed to keep it a secret up until now as to how I do it, which is fun, ’cause I kind of feel like it’s my thing and it took a long time for me to craft.”] SOUNDCUE (:19 OC: . . . me to craft.)
- Royal Blood have been off the road since wrapping up a world tour in support of their 2014 self-titled debut album last fall. The disc features the Top Five rock radio hits “Figure It Out” and “Out Of The Black.”
DID YOU KNOW?
- Vinyl, which premiered in February, is produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger. The series has been renewed for a second season.
- The show follows Finestra and his team at the fictitious American Century Records as they navigate the changing and turbulent music scene of the early ’70s.
- The show has featured music from members of the Strokes, the Black Keys, the Dead Weather and others.
CHECK IT OUT: Listen to the new Royal Blood song: