Former Guns N’ Roses and current Sixx: A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba told Music Radar in a new interview that walking away from Guns after six years in the group was “the hardest decision” he ever made in his life. Ashba explained, “I’ll always be thankful for Axl (Rose, Guns frontman) believing in me. But it’s not my band and it never will be. I was performing songs written before I got there. I had a blast doing it, and I will cherish it.”
Ashba added, “But we did a 19-day sold-out run on the Sixx: A.M. Modern Vintage tour and it was that tour of playing my own songs — songs that came from my soul — and seeing how they connected to the fanbase, I could not put that feeling into words, and I realized that I needed to follow my heart.”
- Ashba recently revealed that Rose offered him a role in the partial Guns reunion that is happening now, but he “just didn’t feel like it was (his) place.”
- Ashba, joined Guns N’ Roses in March 2009 following the departure of Robin Finck and stayed in the band until last July, before the reunion was made public.
- Ashba began working with Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx in 2007 on the latter’s Sixx: A.M. project, and is a full-fledged member, appearing on all four of the band’s albums. Its latest is Prayers For The Damned Vol. 1.
- Sixx A.M.’s current single, “Rise,” has cracked the rock radio Top Five.
- Guns N’ Roses announced that Axl, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan would perform together again for the first time in 22 years last month. The band completed a short series of shows in April and will head out on a North American stadium trek this summer.
- Do you think Ashba made the right choice, even though Guns N’ Roses is so high profile right now?
- If you had a choice like his, would you follow the money or follow your heart?
- Would Guns sound different or better now if it was Ashba playing alongside Slash instead of Richard Fortus?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Antony Dick wrote: “I like him…He’s great as is Sixx:AM…”
Kevin Werrun wrote: “hardest decision he ever made and ill-timed as well. The fatter checks were about to start rolling in.”
Cory Withers wrote: “Everyone in his current band looks like space hobos who live in a space dumpster.”
Pierre Simard wrote: “Bad decision, he will regret it. Sixx AM sucks and it won’t be long before the honeymoon is over. Nicky and his hacks will be playing empty clubs very soon. Mark my words.”
Brownie Lawmore wrote: “It was a bad decision on your part…but I dig fortus 100 times better…so thanks!”