Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash will headline the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association’s 2017 Beastly Ball on May 20th to benefit the new Species Conservation Action Network. According to Billboard, Slash will be joined by special guests Jack Black, Grace Potter and Bernard Fowler, with backing from Jimmy Vivino and The Basic Cable Band.
Slash, a known animal rights activist who also collects exotic reptiles, stated about the event, “I’m honored and proud to be a part of the L.A. Zoo’s 50th-anniversary Beastly Ball. It’s going to be the biggest yet, and I’m really looking forward to jamming live with some good friends.”
- In addition to being a fierce advocate for animals, Slash serves as a board member at the Los Angeles Zoo, for which he has also filmed several promo spots.
- He told us about his longtime involvement with the zoo: [“Well, I’ve been an animal fanatic ever since I can remember, so when I moved to Los Angeles, it was just automatic that I would attach myself to the Los Angeles Zoo. At some point a few years ago, a friend of mine, she’s on the board at the L.A. Zoo, so she introduced me to the higher-ups over there and said, ‘This is a perfect candidate for blah blah blah.’ And so I’ve been hooked up with the zoo ever since.”]
- The show will be broadcast in virtual reality on Google Daydream or Samsung Gear VR headsets, and will include behind-the-scenes footage and an interview with Slash.
- Slash reunited with fellow Guns founders Axl Rose and Duff McKagan last year for a wildly successful comeback tour that sold out stadiums across the country last summer.
- The band will start a European leg of the tour at the end of May and will begin a new North American run on July 27th in St. Louis.