Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor has confirmed that the first new music from the band’s upcoming album Hydrograd will arrive next month. Taylor wrote via Facebook, “Attention. New Stone Sour music coming in April. Spread the word. Tell the world.” Taylor did not name which song will be debuting next month. Hydrograd itself, Stone Sour’s sixth studio effort, is coming out in June although an exact date has yet to be unveiled.
Taylor told us recently about the new material: [“It is the best stuff that we’ve ever written. It’s got a lot of different directions, but at its core it’s very hard rock, almost in a modern/classic sense. There are some hints of punk in there. There’s some cool hard rock/heavy metal. There’s just all of these really cool elements that we’ve never maybe allowed ourselves to kind of go to.”]
- Bassist Johnny Chow recently described the disc as “a straight rock and roll album” in an interview with Detroit radio station WRIF, adding, “It’s just very groove-oriented, very melodic (with) big choruses. We’ve got some mellower songs on there too, which are equally just as amazing and have a lot of groove to them.”
- Chow called the record a “bit of a departure” from previous Stone Sour albums.
- The band recorded the album live in the studio, cutting a total of 18 songs from which 14 or 15 will make the CD.
- Stone Sour will play the Rock On The Range Kick-Off Party on Thursday, May 18th at Express Live! in Columbus, Ohio. The event will start the Rock On The Range weekend, with Metallica, Soundgarden and Korn headlining this year’s festival.
- Stone Sour will also be special guests of Korn on the latter act’s “Serenity Of Summer” trek, which starts on June 16th in Salt Lake City and wraps on August 2nd in Cleveland.