Sum 41 have announced their first album in five years, titled 13 Voices, which is due to drop October 7th via Hopeless Records. 13 Voices is a follow-up to 2011’sScreaming Bloody Murder, and first since guitarist Dave Baksh rejoined the lineup in 2015 after a nine-year absence.
Frontman Deryck Whibley credits the album for “saving” his life amid recent struggles with alcoholism. In a statement posted to the band’s Facebook page, Whibley said: “I am really excited to be releasing an album after everything I’ve been through recently. This new music represents the journey I’ve been on throughout the process of making this record. I had to fall in order to rise and nothing feels better than to have something you love that you had to really fight for. I can honestly say that 13 Voices saved my life and I cannot wait to share it with all of you.”
- Whibley was hospitalized in 2014 and almost died five times due to liver and kidney collapse, reports at the time indicated.
- Sum 41 will be one of the headliners on this year’s Warped Tour.
CHECK IT OUT:
The statement explaining the inspiration for the new album posted to Facebook:
The band tweets out the artwork for the new album:
Track listing for 13 Voices:
1. “A Murder of Crows (You’re All Dead To Me)”
2. “Goddamn I’m Dead Again”
3. “Fake My Own Death”
4. “Breaking The Chain”
5. “There Will Be Blood”
6. “13 Voices”
8. “God Save Us All (Death to POP)”
9. “The Fall And The Rise”
10. “Twisted By Design”
- Does knowing the story behind the album make you more or less excited for it to drop?
- Any plans to check out the Warped Tour?
- Do you think the five-year break puts extra pressure on the band for something really amazing?
- Do you think Sum 41 will be better or worse without the chemical enhancements?