Blink-182 bassist Mark Hoppus has denied meeting with estranged Blink guitarist Tom DeLonge despite DeLonge asserting that they got together just recently. Shortly after Blink released its new single — its first song without its founding guitarist — DeLonge posted a statement on Facebook suggesting that he and Blink still had a future together and that he had met with Hoppus last week and drummer Travis Barker the week before.
But in a new interview with San Francisco’s Kevin Kline Live, Hoppus said, “I haven’t even spoken to Tom in a year and a half. (Making music with Tom again) is so far down the road to even be a possibility.” Hoppus stated that DeLonge’s Facebook post caught him by surprise, but he added, “I’ll never say never to anything, but this is what Blink-182 is right now.”
- DeLonge also said in his post that he had been speaking with Barker on a regular basis, saying, “We DO have a future together if we want it, but for now we are busy doing separate things.”
- Blink will release its first album without DeLonge, California, on July 1st. The first single, “Bored To Death,” arrived last week. The band now features Matt Skiba on guitar and vocals in place of DeLonge.
- After remarking that the last couple of Blink records felt “phoned in,” Barker said about the making of the new album, “We did 28 songs in a month and a half. It was awesome. The chemistry was great. Everyone was in the studio putting in work, being creative. When you get that momentum going, the possibilities are endless.”
- Skiba added, “We all put a lot of effort into this and a lot of heart and thought, but it fit together like Legos.”
- Blink will tour this summer with A Day to Remember, All-American Rejects and All Time Low.
- So who do you think is telling the truth here — Mark or Tom?
- Why would Tom make up a story about meeting with Mark?
- Do you think Tom DeLonge, with stories like this and his tales about UFOs and alien technologies, is off his rocker?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Alternative Press — agree or not?
Brian Hard wrote: “delonge has to be legitimately schizophrenic or something…”
Marina Pasqualone wrote: “Okay what the heck… Is Tom just butthurt or what? I don’t know what to believe anymore!!!”
Isaac Golczynski wrote: “tom should be back in the band! What these guys have done is legendary!!”
Marissa Leimone wrote: “Tom needs to get a f**king life. He’s realized the mistakes he made. It’s too late to go back buddy.”
Hecktor Fernandez wrote: “Can someone please tell Tom that he’s being the Roger Waters of blink 182?”