Joe Giudice begins his 41-month prison sentence today (March 23rd.) The husband of Real Housewives star Teresa Giudice spent the first half of the week preparing to be locked up and saying his goodbyes to family and friends.
According to E! News, a going away party was held at Blu Alehouse in Riverdale, New Jersey on Monday (March 21st.) Owner and family friend John Harms said of the event, “I’ve been friends with Joe and Teresa since before the show. My partners and I have gotten to know Joe over time and we wanted to do something nice for him two nights before he went away — a way for everyone to say goodbye. It was amazing, as perfect as I would have wanted it. It was just family and true friends…Teresa and the girls were there, obviously. Joe’s mom and his sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles. It was a family reunion. There ended up being about 150 people. The restaurant was filled. It was great. About 50 kids.” John added, “There were toasts, [and] Joe had a few words to say. He told everyone, ‘Stop making me cry, I’m not going to the electric chair,’ His attitude is as good as it can be. You can tell he’s being strong for everyone else. There were a lot of tears.”
- Bravo cameras were not present.
- Joe is serving his time at the Fort Dix Federal Correction Institute in New Jersey. He opened up about the sentence to People magazine saying, “It’s not a big deal. They tell me that the low security and the camp there are almost the same so it’s no big deal. It’s a military camp is what it is. It’s not a high security, and anybody that’s in there is basically people that have already served a lot of time basically working their years to get out. So once you are there if you screw up there, then you go back to high security.” Joe continued, “I’m looking at it like rehabilitation for me. I am not going to be able to drink for a while which is good because I don’t even know when it’s been since I haven’t had a drink. It’s been a long time. Definitely the whole year I definitely drank every day a couple bottles at night just to go to bed.”
- Joe was sentenced back in October of 2014 for multiple counts of fraud.
- Teresa spent most of 2015 behind bars as part of her 15-month sentence. She was released in December and carried out the rest of the punishment under house arrest.
ASK YOUR LISTENERS:
- How would you spend your last day before getting locked up for 41 months?
- Does it seem like Joe is taking his punishment seriously?
- What would you miss most being locked up for 41 months?