Rob Zombie and Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian have both weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The band postponed the last 10 dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced “total hearing loss.” Evidence has mounted that AC/DC may use Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose as a “guest vocalist” when it reschedules the shows, with Johnson possibly not returning to the band at all.
Zombie told us that the situation seems like a difficult one from the outside: [“That’s a weird one. I feel bad for Brian Johnson. Being in a band for 38 years and still be the new guy is kind of odd but, you know, I’m not in AC/DC so I don’t know the dynamic of it all, you know.”] SOUNDCUE (:08 OC: . . . all, you know.)
- Scott Ian, meanwhile, was asked by Brazilian outlet R7 for his opinion about Axl Rose singing with AC/DC and said, “I guess I could kind of imagine in my brain, but I don’t even know what Axl sounds like now. I haven’t heard Axl Rose sing in a long, long time. So, can he sing AC/DC songs? I don’t know. I suppose AC/DC must think so, if it’s true. So I’m sure I’ll get to hear it soon enough on the Internet somewhere and then I guess I’ll have an opinion on it.”
- Ian added, “My personal opinion is, without Brian at this point, I think they should just stop. Why? Why? You’re AC/DC. I don’t think they need the money. It would be pretty hard to imagine that they still are out there working because they need money. But who am I to say? It’s just my opinion. But I wish… If Brian is done, then I wish the band would stop.”
- Scott Ian and Anthrax recently released its 11th studio album, For All Kings. The current single is called “Breathing Lightning.”
- Rob Zombie’s new disc, The Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser, arrives on April 29th. The first single is “Well, Everybody’s F**king In A UFO.”
ASK YOUR LISTENERS:
- Do you think Scott Ian is right? Should AC/DC stop without Brian Johnson?
- Do you feel like AC/DC is treating Brian Johnson poorly during this whole situation? Are they disrespecting him?
- Have you ever watched an artist perform and just stood there thinking, “They should really give it a rest”?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth — agree or not?
Aaron Ransem wrote: “For once I actually agree with him, no Brian = no AC/DC.”
Ian Rose wrote: “But if AC/DC asked him to be a guest guitarist filling in for Malcolm he would jump on it.”
Doug Whitaker wrote: “Heavy Metal is and always has been a young man’s game. A reunion here and there is OK but for AC/DC to keep on touring at their age is ridiculous. At this point, Angus is the only original member left. Why go and see a watered down version of the band?”
Matt Mayne wrote: “What would this guy know about hanging anything up? Ac/DC had scheduled shows and don’t want to disappoint fans by saying ‘sorry, we have to quit. Have a refund and see you later.'”
Jesse Capps wrote: “AC/DC needs to end, they’re all almost 70 and they’re super rich so let it go already. And if they wanna continue playing music thats cool but how are you gonna betray a dude that sang for you for 36 years?”