A student named Salli Anttonen at the University of Eastern Finland recently conducted a study to find out why there is so much hate directed towards Nickelback. Anttonen analyzed Finnish reviews of the band from 2000 through 2014 for her paper, which was titled Hypocritical Bulls**t Performed Through Gritted Teeth: Authenticity Discourses In Nickelback’s Album Reviews In Finnish Media.
Anttonen found that critiques of the band became harsher as they became more popular, noting, “It became a phenomenon where the journalists were using the same (reasons) to bash them, and almost making an art out of ridiculing them.”
- Even though the study was based solely upon Finnish reviews of the band, the critics’ animosity toward the group has been a global phenomenon.
- Frontman Chad Kroeger admitted a while back that the group has never been a critical favorite: [“I think we actually used to pay a little bit of attention to that, and we just kind of accepted it’s like, ‘Nope, we are never going to be one of those bands, we are never going to be the critic’s darlings, and we’re okay with that.’ Even a lot of critics are kind of like, ‘We’ve done our best to try and get the word out there that as many people as possible should hate this band because we hate this band.’ And they’ve just sort of gone, ‘You know what? We can’t do it. We cannot convince anybody else to hate this band as much as we do.'”] SOUNDCUE (:23 OC: . . . as we do.).
- Anttonen concluded, “Nickelback is too much of everything to be enough of something. They follow genre expectations too well, which is seen as empty imitation, but also not well enough, which is read as commercial tactics and as a lack of a stable and sincere identity.”
- Nickelback began working on music for its ninth studio effort earlier this year.
- Last June, Nickelback canceled the majority of its tour dates in support of the band’s eighth CD, No Fixed Address, so that Kroeger could recover from surgery to remove a cyst on his vocal cords.
ASK YOUR LISTENERS:
- Why do you think Nickelback is so hated? Do you hate them too?
- Do you think the bigger a band gets, the more it is disliked by its original fans?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Alternative Press — agree or not?
Michael LeFever wrote: “Nickelback is amazing.”
Patrick Hitt wrote: “I hate Nickleback because every time I hear a pop/rock song on the radio and I think it sucks, I end up finding out it’s Nickleback. Weirdly enough, the exact same thing happens with Rhianna.”
Ryan Leal wrote: “I hate pop music. I love rock music. Nickleback is not rock, it’s pop. If you like pop, then listen to Nickleback all you want, but don’t you dare try to tell me they are a rock band. They are a pop band with distortion on their instruments.”
Mark Ovart wrote: “Nickelback is a good band, they don’t have dozens of hit songs because they suck.”
Brett Morrison wrote: “I don’t hate them, but I definitely don’t care for the music they make. I liked ‘How You Remind Me’ when it came out, like everyone. But I got into heavier music, and their sound just didn’t do it for me anymore. I say love what you love, don’t worry about what others think. If you love and still listen to Nickleback more power to ya!”